Thursday 16 May 2019

Helping Raise Money For Charity..

Raising money for charity is something that I have been doing quite often over the years.

I started with an event in my local town around 11 years ago by holding an 80's Night. We had a retro disco everyone was to dress up in their neon gear and 80's outfits etc. It was a really good night. Unfortunately I cannot remember how much we raised that night, I believe it could've been around £200 if not more!

Since then I have made items for a friend who runs a page for Angel Babies on facebook. I offered a few times to make items for her auctions to help raise money for a charity she supports called SANDS (Stillbirth And Neonatal Death Charity) if you've not heard of them before then please click here. Note: link opens in a new window.

The plan now is to work out different charities that I would like to help support by making certain items for said charity and donating a percentage per purchase.

Poppy Appeal Note: link opens in a new window.
This is to help raise funds for the Armed Forces and British Legion. Every year around October/November you're able to donate money to get a Poppy that you wear throughout these months ready for Remembrance Day on 11th November. Every year there is a parade that walks through our town and finishes up at the cenotaph outside town hall. I was in this parade at one point years ago when I was a girl guide.
I had made my family members a poppy each using sparkle red wool and green for the leaves and used a safety eye for the middle of the poppy to keep everything in place. Then attached a broach pin to the back so that they could be worn.
My plan is to make as many of them as I can and donate a percentage to this charity.

Another plan I have is to make and sell Octopus for Premature Babies.
(They can also be given to a Newborn baby or given as a baby shower gift)

The octopus is made to help comfort and distract your baby from holding onto any wires or tubes the baby may need whilst in the hospital. From what I have been reading, it has been proven that whilst in the womb babies tend to hold on to their umbilical cord which makes them feel safe and secure. The way the octopus are made it helps remind the baby of the umbilical cord which they can hold instead of the wires or tubes the baby needs.
Other than giving them to a premature baby they will also have the same impact on a newborn baby because as I said the tentacles remind them of their umbilical cord..

Over time I will be thinking of more things that I can potentially do to help raise money for the different charities.. Watch this space..

No comments:

Post a Comment